The UW-Stout REU will be an 8-week program involving projects in geometric group theory and others (follow the link on the left for detailed info on each project). With a 5:8 faculty-to-student ratio, there will be plenty of opportunity for mentorship and collaboration with the faculty as well as collaborating (and socializing) with peers. Some highlights of the program are:
- Some stipend
- Free university housing provided
- Travel support to and from Stout and for attendance of Joint meetings.
- Weekly workshops on preparation for graduate school and careers in mathematics
- GRE preparation
- Research strategies
- How to give a talk
- Computational tools and scientific computing
- Research careers in mathematics
- Guest mathematician speaker from industry or government labs
Application Deadline: TBD Apply Now
Special Focus on Graduate School and Professional Development
Special attention will be given to professional development activities focused on helping students prepare for graduate school and careers in mathematics. At the same time as learning research-level mathematics, you will be preparing to take your skills and knowledge gained at the REU to the next level in graduate school and beyond. The workshops will benefit all students, helping you to get a jump start on the next step in your research career. First generation college students may find these workshops particularly helpful in preparing for their next career steps and we particularly encourage first generation students to apply for the REU at UW-Stout.